Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chevron quilt

I just finished my first quilt. I can now cross that off the ol' bucket list. But now that it's done I'm trying to decide what to quilt next.  It definitely isn't  perfect but I'm happy with it! I had saved a blog post from a few years ago  over at Purlbee and decided to give it a try. I did mine alittle bigger and alittle different.


 For my bright colored patterned pieces I used Moda's Oh My line. I don't know what fabric the cream and yellow polka dot fabric is. I liked the contrast of the bright colors and the cream.
Cut your fabric in 5'' squares
 With a pencil draw a line down the middle of your square.
 Using your presser foot as a guide, sew down each side of your pencil line.
 cut along your pencil line
 Then  press the seams to set them. I think that's what quilters say? But really I have no idea what i'm doing! I did this about 252 times. (: At first I didn't have the cream/yellow polka dot border, but my quilt seemed alittle too small. I was out of the Oh My fabric so I decided to just do the border.
Next line them all up and start sewing. I did it a row at a time. My quilt is 18 squares by 14 squares. I forgot to take pictures of those last few steps. i guess I was in too big of a hurry to get it done!
 I bought some turquoise sheets at Walmart for the back of my quilt.  I had a cute lady I know do the  top embroidery machine stitch.
Now i just need to figure out what I'm doing with it.

12 comments:

natalie christensen said...

Turned out great! Good job.

jane said...

Love the quilt!!! Now I want to make one! Jane

Hepworths said...

Jamie this is so so beautiful!! WOW. I love it. Good work my dear:) And I keep getting compliments on my coffee filter wreath, thanks so much girls night...so fun!

Unknown said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! Love the pattern and colors and fabrics! I'm so impressed that this was your first quilt! (Not that I've made any to know the learning curve, but I know I couldn't make that ever!) : )

Unknown said...

Wow!! What a gorgeous quilt!!! You are amazing!

Kimberly T. said...

That is absolutely beautiful! I am so impressed. Quilting is one of those skills that I'd love to do but sadly lack the skills, or maybe it's the patience, I don't know. :) If you can't figure out what to do with it, I'd gladly take it off your hands. (wink, wink)

jonahbonah said...

What to do with it? Give it to me!!! LOL

I just stumbled on your blog from pinterest. Love it!!!

Alison said...

Your quilt is beautiful!
do you remember how much white you used and how many yards of the color fabric you used?
I want to make a similar quilt but slightly larger and am looking for a starting point when getting fabric. thank you!

J-ME said...

yes it was about 2 yards of the white fabric.(:

Christine said...

Hi, I just came across your blog and I love this quilt! I see above that you said 2 yards of the white fabric.

Can you tell me how many different types of fabric did you use for the colors and how many yards of each of the colors did you use?

Thank you!

Christine said...

Hi, I just came across your blog and I love this quilt! I see above that you said 2 yards of the white fabric.

Can you tell me how many different types of fabric did you use for the colors and how many yards of each of the colors did you use?

Thank you!

J-ME said...

Christine, I actually just used a charm pack that I already had on hand. I had left over pieces but I'm not quite sure how many. Sorry. http://www.fatquartershop.com/baby-jane-charm-pack